Miscarriages

When you open up to another woman about a miscarriage chances are she may have had one too. No one really speaks about them, but they happen more often than you may think. I'm not a professional, but personally I can think of 6 other women in my life who I know have had at least one miscarriage. Two women have had multiple. There may be more of my friends who have had one and haven't opened up to me. With myself included in that number, that seems like a lot of miscarriages.

Having a miscarriage is a very personal thing between the woman and her partner. Each women experiences it in her own personal way but for me, it was painful physically and emotionally. I didn't share my experience with many others at the time, maybe because I didn't know exactly how to express it, but I am willing to share now. Especially since I've found out that miscarriages are more common than I thought.

And then there are Sam and Nia. They very publicly shared the news of their pregnancy and subsequent miscarriage.

It was very brave of this couple. The announcement of a baby is one of the most exciting things in a couple's life. Announcing the joy of bringing a new life into the world is exhilarating! Unfortunately sharing the news of a miscarriage is quite the opposite. Sharing an experience of this magnitude that is often kept between the couple and close family takes courage. Sam and Nia's hearts were open for all to see and they bravely took on the task of sharing this sad news.

Fortunately, or on the positive side, Nia's courage to publicly announce she miscarried is creating awareness of miscarriages and letting other women know they are not alone in their experience. She relates to women who have gone through it in the past and is an example for women in the future who will have miscarriages.

The actual cause of miscarriages is often unknown. They usually happen relatively early in a pregnancy when development of the fetus is only a few weeks along. For me, I miscarried at 9 weeks. I went in for a check at 8 1/2 weeks and they couldn't hear a heartbeat. The doctor said it was a little early and scheduled me to come back in another 2 weeks. Shortly after that check, I started to bleed and cramp up. I called the doctor and they prescribed me some pain meds, but that was really all they could do for me.

Multiple miscarriages can be frustrating and emotionally trying on a woman. There is a flood of hormones that comes with getting pregnant and when a miscarriage happens, there is a sharp decline in those hormones that can cause depression, exacerbating the fact of loosing the fetus.

So to all you women out there who are trying to get pregnant, know you are not alone in your struggles with miscarriages. It happens to more women than you know. Consult with your health care provider if you have multiple ones and try and find the cause. But also know, there are some miscarriages that cannot be explained. It may have just not been the right combination of genes to produce a viable baby, or your body may not be ready to support a pregnancy. Seek support and healing with your partner and among your female friends. Chances are you will find understanding in a friend who's had a miscarriage you didn't know about.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why is Childbirth Education Important?

The power of movement

Breech position babies