Support is so important

Having support during pregnancy, labor, childbirth, and breastfeeding is so important. As with other things in life, if you don't have encouragement and love behind you it will be hard to attain your goals. For me attaining my goal of becoming a childbirth educator wouldn't have been possible if my husband hadn't been behind me.

Support during labor and childbirth has positive out comes that cascade into bonding and loving the baby. Having a Doula is one form of support that has benefits all around from healthy outcomes for mom and baby to economic benefits that decrease the costs of having a baby.

It has been said that "If a doula were a drug it would be unethical not to offer it."
https://choicesinchildbirth.org/
Choices in Childbirth is an organization advocating for Doula care to be covered by Medicaid and private insurance. I'm in agreement with this effort. When you have someone with you advocating for your well being during labor, it can take the worry off of you so you can focus on the business of labor. The statistic that most impresses me is 28% fewer cesareans with a Doula. Amazing!

I've talked to my local representative about working on a bill in North Dakota to require Medicaid and private insurance cover the costs of a Doula and childbirth education. Because not everyone can afford this additional care and with all the benefits of these options especially their impacts on decreasing the cost of health care, they should be at least partially reimbursed. Women who don't have a supportive partner especially benefit from Doula care. I'll keep you posted on how that progresses. 

However, in Jamestown the Doula resources are limited. I have been in contact with some who will come to Jamestown and support women here. But as for an in-town Doula, I have not found one yet. So in my classes I'm going to talk about Doulas but I'm going to stress the importance of the partner and how this person can be the advocate and soothing voice when the woman in labor most needs it.

Eye contact with a loved one is one of my top recommendations for easing labor pains. This act gets oxytocin flowing which keeps labor moving and eases pain.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why is Childbirth Education Important?

The power of movement

Breech position babies