Kick start my class

My first Lamaze class series is off to a great start. I have two couples in fairly different places in their pregnancies. It is wonderful to get their different perspectives on the stages they are experiencing. These people have agreed to be my guinea pigs so I can test out my material and get my rhythm established for how I will teach future classes.


The biggest thing I learned from my first class session was that I planned on packing too much information into that session. Two hours is a lot of time to fill, I know this because I've had trouble filling 15 and 30 minutes for other speaking engagements I've done with my other job. Also, it is a lot of time to fill with just lecture. Luckily teaching childbirth and pregnancy information can be interactive and I've tried to incorporate those kinds of things where ever I can. But, lecture is a bit unavoidable and I'm hoping I can break things up enough to keep everyone's interest.

The session tonight is all about relaxing and trying to moderate stress during pregnancy. Stress can be a bad thing for anyone, and pregnant women can be targets for all kinds of stress inducing moments. Whether it is related to your care, your emotions, your over zealous friends and relatives or that lady you always see in the coffee shop who wants to touch your belly.


Cortisol and other stress hormones cause the flight or fight response in your body and when they surge as a result of stress it can negatively affect mom and baby. Women with poor stress coping skills are at risk for having lower birth weight babies, preterm labor, and development problems with baby's brain that can lead to behavior problems in the future. Research into this field is still fledgling, but in general not being able to cope with stress negatively impacts your total body health.

Some things to combat stress include exercise, yoga, mindfulness (more on this later), have a cup of tea and put your feet up and have your partner give you a message.
Breathe and count to 10.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My journey to become a childbirth educator

The power of movement

Why is Childbirth Education Important?