My journey to become a childbirth educator

My name is Jennifer and I have decided to become a childbirth educator. I am starting my journey by reading and self study and will take an instruction class in November. Why have I decided to start this venture? I think childbirth is fascinating and when I was pregnant I knew I wanted to give birth without drugs, but I didn't know how. Childbirth is one of those things a body just knows how to do. Although, every woman may not know how to help their body do it. I found that in my smallish community there were no resources to help me learn how to do this. So I turned to books and yoga which helped a lot and gave me the tools to successfully birth two babies without medication (aside from that antibiotic I needed because I was group B strep positive).

I know not every woman is able to read and do the education on her own, so I want to be an instrument of change in my community and help women who are seeking knowledge on how to have an unmedicated birth. I want to help them gain knowledge of how to have an amazing birth experience.

I started this blog to document my journey, thoughts, and reflections as I become a childbirth educator. I have chosen to learn the Lamaze teachings because this school seems to be the best fit for my passion and beliefs. They emphasize the impacts of a positive birth experience and making informed decisions about the interventions that are available. My goal, and I feel the goal of Lamaze teachings, is to empower women so that when they make decisions about their pregnancy and birth they are coming from a place of power within themselves and the decision was not made for them or forced upon them.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why is Childbirth Education Important?

The power of movement

Breech position babies